The keto diet (ketogenic) is a modern trend in the diet. The keto diet began to gain the most popularity in 2017 and continues to this day.
The keto diet is an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Preference is given to natural food products in accordance with the needs of the human body in the presence of fat and the lowest content of carbohydrates.
The ketogenic diet is an updated version of a low-carb diet.
Principles of the keto child
The main principle of the keto diet is low-carbohydrate foods. The ketogenic diet is based on the processing of fatty acids in the body. Degradation of animal fat that enters the body with food due to non-interference of carbohydrates is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
The low carb keto diet is very popular with obesity, among people who want to lose weight or stay fit.
With minimal or complete absence of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning happens quickly, a person begins to lose weight. Fats begin to be removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then into the keto body.
Ketone bodies are the breakdown products of fat produced by the liver. By actively expending energy or prolonged fasting, in order to gain energy, the body begins to break down its own stored fat.
The breakdown of fats and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not lead to drastic weight loss.
Characteristics of the keto child
The characteristic of a keto diet is the replacement of the supplied energy resource - carbohydrates, fats, or decomposition products - ketone bodies. To reorganize the body and based on individual characteristics, it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take 2 to 4 weeks for the body to fully adapt to the new food system. The ultimate form of fat burning is achieved with a balanced diet.
A characteristic feature of the keto diet from other types of diet is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, low protein content and the presence of fat. The daily intake of carbohydrates in food should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, by-products of animal fats that the body uses to produce energy, must have a fat-to-protein to carbohydrate ratio of 2 to 1. To maintain a normal metabolism, the body needs to get a lot of fat. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should come from fat, the rest are carbohydrates and protein. The caloric intake of the product per day should not exceed 5000 kcal. The diet does not limit the time of eating, you can safely eat after 18 hours.
The less a person eats carbohydrate-rich foods, the more effective the diet is in fighting hunger.
The main part of the daily diet should be fats, then protein and, last but not least - carbohydrates. The peculiarity of this diet is, unlike others, that here the intake of salt is not limited, which restores the balance of electrolytes.
In the early days of the diet, you should gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed.
With the strict principle of adhering to the keto diet for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3-5 pounds in a month without harm to health and reduce the amount of adipose tissue.
Athletes are more likely to stick to a cyclic ketogenic diet, burning fat, their bodies becoming more prominent, and muscle mass increasing. The reason for this change lies in the transformation of the hormonal background and the increased process of growth hormone production. The principle of nutrition is strictly regulated by the training plan.
Benefits of a keto child
The benefits of a keto diet have already been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, it improves the condition of the skin, hair, nails, normalizes food metabolism, improves metabolism and increases immunity.
Studies have shown that people who are overweight and have high cholesterol, after 56 weeks after a keto diet, have not only lost more than 25 pounds, but have significantly improved their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
With caution, doctors recommend adhering to a diet for cancer patients. It is well known that cancer cells actively feed on glucose, completely eliminating them from the diet and adhering to a diet without carbohydrates, diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For fans of self-weight loss, without a prescription, the easiest diet is suitable - keto lifestyle.
The ketogenic diet is widely used among athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
Diet promotes fat burning for efficient production of energy sources, thus contributing to the preservation and economical consumption of glycogen (animal starch) during long-term intensive effort.
The obvious benefits of a keto diet are general well-being improvement, emotional mood, energy surge, increased efficiency, increased brain activity.
The ketogenic diet is a more healthy diet, but only healthy people can adhere to it on their own. Before you start such a diet, you should consult an expert, he will tell you what the pitfalls may be and how best to get out of it in case of deteriorating health.
Mane keto child
Compared to other weight loss diets, the ketogenic diet is more effective, but long-term adherence can have different consequences.
The disadvantage of the keto diet is that it is not suitable for all people. When glucose levels are low, glycogen stores in the body are depleted. With a sharp transition from a normal diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness, and difficulty coordinating.
If the following symptoms occur, you should stop following the ketogenic diet:
- decreased performance and impaired concentration;
- increased fatigue;
- unpleasant pungent odor of acetone from the mouth;
- difficulties with the digestive process;
- bad blood count;
- frequent urination;
- persistent dry mouth;
- decreased appetite.
- lack of minerals and vitamins in the body.
In the background of a high-fat ketone diet, there can be an excess of ammonia in the blood, which leads to toxic poisoning of the body and disturbances in hormonal levels.
In the first week, the child may feel cold or hot, tired, mild nausea, irritability. You should drink as much water as possible. Symptoms usually disappear within a week, and the body gradually adjusts to getting energy from fat stores.
Special test strips showing blood ketone and glucose levels are used to adjust the diet.
List of allowed and forbidden foods on the keto diet
Eating this way must be approached wisely. There is a certain list of allowed and forbidden foods on the keto diet.
First, let's see what you can eat with the keto diet:
- You can eat all kinds of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- It is allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, salmon, mackerel.
- Wide range of dairy products: fatty fresh cheese and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add any spices during cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for snacks.
- Of the fruits allowed: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something different, it is quite acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet must contain water, tea without sugar, coffee, mineral water. You must drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine does not contain more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates, and vodka does not contain them at all.
- Of the vegetables, preference is given to vegetables with low carbohydrate content, according to the principle: what grows in the ground can not be (carrots, beets, potatoes), and what can be above ground (cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, greens)garlic, lettuce). All fatty foods go well with greens.
Keto diet does not allow:
- all kinds of legumes and cereals - peas, beans, beans, corn;
- nonfat dairy products - nonfat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented baked milk, yogurts, kefir, varenets;
- sugar, sweet drinks, reconstituted juices, soda, sweets;
- it is unacceptable to use snacks, chips and crackers;
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- will have to give up rice, cereals and pasta;
- food made from white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, buns, pasta.
It is necessary to completely exclude the consumption of sugar, some fruits and dried fruits.
Contraindications to the keto diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes mellitus must carefully approach nutritional issues.
There are contraindications to the keto diet for humans:
- suffering from epilepsy;
- diseases associated with motor disorders;
- presence of any chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys;
- gastrointestinal tract; atherosclerosis;
- with high cholesterol levels.
Ketone diet is not recommended for pregnant women or certain medications.
Keto Diet: Menu of the Week
Nutritionists advise using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a keto diet for a week.
- breakfast - fatty fresh cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with vegetables with side dish;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with herbs.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- in the evening - grilled fish from the grill.
- breakfast - cottage cheese salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey with broccoli;
- For dinner you can make an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - scrambled eggs and bacon and fatty yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken stew in sour cream sauce with vegetable side dish;
- Dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - fresh cheese without sugar;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- in the evening - roast meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad dressed in yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken cutlets with vegetable side dish;
- for dinner - stews and herbs.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and fatty cottage cheese;
- for lunch - stewed veal with mushrooms;
- in the evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For the afternoon snack you can eat nuts, avocados, berries, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the menu with the keto diet
The most common and simplest dishes on the keto menu are scrambled eggs and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch, you can eat a portion of any meat with herbs, green beans. For dinner, fish can be eaten in any form with vegetables. You can eat a handful of nuts for a snack. Portions can be both large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are a few simple, complete meals that don't require additional snacks.
Fish salad:any fatty fish is stewed or cooked, cut into pieces, add: eggs, pickles, onions, mayonnaise or 20% soursour cream, you can add a few stalks of salad.
Chicken with bacon, stewed in sour cream with mushrooms:strips of bacon are fried in olive or sunflower oil, removed from the pan while cooking, and put in their placepieces of chicken breast, fried for a few minutes until golden brown, add: water, chopped onion, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices and simmer for a few more minutes.
Cottage cheese salad:fresh cucumber, onion and Chinese cabbage are finely chopped, add salt and spice, leave to stand for 10 minutes, so that the vegetables give juice and addgreasy cottage cheese, pour sour cream mixed with mayonnaise.
There are a lot of recipes for the keto diet, everyone can choose the best option for themselves from the allowed products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
Termination of the keto child
After completing the course, in order not to impair health and usefully abandon the keto diet, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat consumed. To maintain your metabolism and avoid putting your body in a state of stress, you need to gradually increase your intake of carbohydrates and protein in small meals.
In addition to fat, calorie intake is reduced. Vegetables, cereals are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sugar and flour products. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the first days of leaving the diet should be from 70 to 100 grams, it is desirable to leave the protein intake at the same level.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Nutritionists' opinions on the keto diet
Nutritionists believe that the ketogenic diet is universal not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also for improving health. With proper and strict adherence to dietary regulations, the diet should contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.
Dietitians have written over 30 scientific articles, and long-term research has shown that a ketogenic diet significantly accelerates the reduction of insulin in the blood, a hormone that promotes the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Diet improves appetite control, diet suppresses the production of warming hormones, which causes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, the amount of subcutaneous fat decreases.
Scientific studies have shown that for the treatment of certain cardiovascular diseases, ketogenic diet is a drug that is not a drug.
Eating well is not only the key to losing weight, but also has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
A balanced diet rich in fat and moderate in protein and carbohydrates for a long time, supports a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, complete sleep, and there are only natural products.